Monday, July 23, 2012

"The Word Made Flesh" by Texas Artist Shep

This is one of favorite paintings.  I was asked by the Associate Pastor of our church, Lindsay Kirkpatrick, to do a painting to illustrate the bible passage John 1.14 for a series of bulletin covers.  In doing my research I had many revelations.  Jesus probably didn't look exactly like we think.  He was most likely much shorter and darker than we envision.  He definitely was a 1st century Jew, so he looked like a 1st century Jew...not the mid 16th century Italian or 17 century Dutch men we usually see in the paintings.  But that's OK.  I read somewhere that we all see Jesus through our eyes.  So for the 16th century Italians or 17th century Dutch, or even the 20th century Mormons that see Jesus as a 6'2" blue eyed blond guy, that's OK.  For my version to see Jesus through my eyes, I used my eyes as his eyes.  I hope you like it also.  This painting is on permanent display at the Montgomery United Methodist Church.      

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Bob Shepherd, but when I paint I'm known as "Shep". I love to paint people. Happy people. Sad people. People dancing. People in contemplation. Old people. Young people. Lately I've gotten into painting new things and I'm enjoying the challenge. Flowers and still life's have been fun. My blog is here to show you what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. If I'm doing your commission you can follow the progress of your "PortraitbyShep". If you'd like me to do your portrait please notify me through the blog. Please enter your email above and I hope you enjoy the blog. Shep

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive